On my Windows 7 devices my users have been receiving the message “Do you trust this printer” when trying to attach to a new printer;
A security feature that was added in Vista and Windows 7 called “Point and Print Restrictions”
- Create or edit a GPO that targets the effected computers.
- Edit the policy Administrative Templates => Printers => Point and Print Restrictions Enable the policy and change the options to match the below
- User can only point and print to these servers => Un-ticked
- User can only point and print to machines in their forest => Ticked
- When installing drivers for a new connection => Do not show warning or elevation prompt
- When installing drivers for an existing connection => Do not show warning or elevation prompt
The important settings when you want to get rid of this message are the bottom two.
The “Point and Print Restrictions” setting also exists under the “User Configuration” however the user configuration policy is ignored by Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2 and Service Pack 2 release of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008.