The following steps will detail how to change the profile picture that appears in Outlook, Teams and elsewhere for an Office 365 user.
- Logon to the Exchange admin center as an administrator https://outlook.office365.com/ecp
- In the upper right select your profile picture and then select “View another mailbox” from the drop down
- Search for and select the user you wish to change.
- Under Options => account select “Edit information”.
- Press the “Change” button and browse and update the desired image
Alternatively you can use PowerShell.
Connecting to exchange
You can either run the command from a local PowerShell session after installing e EXO V2 module. Or I find it easier to use the Cloud Shell from the Exchange Online Admin Centre, up to you.
Method 1 – Cloud Shell
- Browse to and logon to your Exchange Admin centre https://admin.exchange.microsoft.com/
- Click the Cloud Shell icon in the top right. If this is your first time using Cloud Shell you will get a quick setup wizard, just follow the steps
- Enter the command Connect-EXOPSSession to connect to Exchange and wait for the connection to complete
Method 2 – Local PowerShell session
- If you haven’t already you will need to install the Exchange Online PowerShell V2 module by running the command Install-Module -Name ExchangeOnlineManagement
- Run the command Connect-ExchangeOnline -UserPrincipalName <UPN> to logon. Replacing <UPN> with your Office 365 admin username.
Setting the User Photo
Change the name and picture path as needed.
Set-UserPhoto “John Smith” -PictureData ([System.IO.File]::ReadAllBytes(“C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\JohnSmith.jpg”))