On my Ubuntu 15.10 laptop I found TAB key completion was not working in the bash shell / terminal.
I started by checking the basics;
- Running echo $SHELL confirmed I was indeed using a bash shell.
- Running dpkg -s bash-completion confirmed bash-completion package was installed.
- Next I took a look at the /etc/bash.bashrc file and I found the section to “enable bash completion in interactive shells” had been commented out for some reason. It is not something I would have knowingly done, so the reason why the section was commented out is a bit of a mystery. If you have any ideas, please comment.
- I changed the section from;
# enable bash completion in interactive shells #if ! shopt -oq posix; then # if [ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ]; then # . /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion # elif [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then # . /etc/bash_completion # fi #fi
# enable bash completion in interactive shells if ! shopt -oq posix; then if [ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ]; then . /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion elif [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then . /etc/bash_completion fi fi
- I saved the /etc/bash.bashrc file
- Closed my current bash shells
- Opened a new one and tab completion was working fine again.